Helen Khan is an Indian film actress and dancer who is known for her work in the Hindi film industry. She is also called as Helen Anne Richardson Khan. She was born on 21 November 1938
|Name Helen Jairag Richardson Khan|
|Nike Name H-Bomb, Dancing Queen|
|Age 80 (in 2020)|
|Zodiac Sign Scorpio|
|Place of birth Rangoon,Burma|
|Profession Actress and Dancer|
|Educational Qualification Unknown|
You may also like>>>
|Father George Desmier|
|Marital Status Married|
|Husband P.N Aroa(1957-1974) Salim Khan(1981-present)|
|Children Arpita khan (adopted)|
|Height 5’4”inches approximately|
|Weight 78 kg|
|Body Measurements 35-34-37|
|Hair color Brown|
|Eye color Black|
|Favorite Actors Gene Kelly|
|Favorite Actress Padmini, Vyjayantimala and Ann-Margret|
Helen was born in Rangoon, Burma on 21 November 1938 to George Desmier and a Burmese mother who was a nurse. She has a brother Roger and a sister, Jennifer.
Her father died during world war-II and her brother Roger died due to smallpox after they shifted to India. Their family trekked to Bombay in 143 to escape from the Japanese occupation of Burma.
Helen was first introduced into Bollywood as a chorus dancer by her family friend Cukoo Moray who was an actress and dancer.
Helen’s first movie as a chorus dancer is Shabistan and Awara in 1951, as soon as that she was featured as a solo dancer in many films such as Alif Laila, Mayurpankh (street singer)and Hoor-e-Arab in 1954 and 1955 respectively.
Helen got her breakthrough for her performance in the song “ Mera Naam Chin Chin Chu” from the movie Howrah Bridge. The song was sung by Geeta Dutt. Later she performed to many songs sung by Geeta Dutt.
Helen was 19 years old when she performed in “ Mera Naam Chin Chin Chu” in the year 1958. Later on, she performed for many songs sung by Asha Bhosle and got awards
Salim Khan helped her to get roles in movies around in the 1970s. She was cast in Imaan Dharam, Don, Dostana, Sholay, Lahu Ke Do Rang and so on.
Helen retired from movies in 1983, but she has given her appearances in guest roles such as Khamoshi: The Musical and Mohabbatein. She has made a special appearance as the mother of real-life step-son Salman Khan in Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam.
Apart from movies, she performed on-stage in London, Paris, and Hong-Kong. In 1973 a documentary on Helen was released named “Queen Of The Nautch Girls”. In 2006 a book named “The Life and Times of an H-Bomb” was published on her, even won National Film Award for best book at the cinema in 2007.
Helen married Salim Khan in 1981 who was a screenplay writer in Bollywood. Salim Khan was already married and father of 4 children. Helen joined the family and kept the family united along with the first wife.
- Helen received Padma Shri from the Indian government in 2009.
- Helen was nominated for Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actress for the movie Gumnaam in 1966.
- Helen was nominated for Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actress for the movie Shikaar in 1969.
- Helen was nominated for Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actress for the movie Elaan in 1972.
- Helen won Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actress for the movie Lahu Ke Do Rang in 1980.
- Helen was nominated for Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actress for the movie Khamoshi: The Musical in 1997.
- Helen has received the Lifetime Achievement Award in 1999.
SOME LESSER KNOWN FACTS
- Does Helen drink alcohol? Not know.
- Does Helen smoke? No.
- Helen’s father was an Anglo-Indian and her mother belongs to Burmese.
- Helen came to Mumbai in 1943.
- Helen quitted her schooling due to financial crises.
- Helen started supporting her family at an early age.
- Helen got into Bollywood by her family friend’s support.
- Helen learned Manipuri Dance style, later Bharat Natyam and Kathak from P.L.Raj
- Helen was the first one to introduce cabaret dance or item dance in Bollywood films.
- Helen becomes a dancing sensation in 1958 with the song Mera Naam Chin Chin Chu.
- Due to her popularity, she was named “H-Bomb”.
- In 1973 they released 3 books and a documentary named “Queen Of The Nautch Girls”.
- She was first married to P.N.Arora (Bollywood Director) and got divorced in 1974 as he used to spend her money and she even becomes bankrupt and her house was also seized.
- She met Salim Khan in 1962 and married him after 19 years in 1981.
- Helen met Salim Khan in the movie sets Kabli Khan.